Thursday, November 14, 2019

NPC Quirks of Manner and Speech

Roll 1d20 for a quirk, of manner or speech or roll 2d20 and combine.


NPC Quirks
Manner
Speech
1. Taps own nose.
“Watch me!”
2. Tugs at earlobe.
“As men say.”
3. Takes off hat and wrings it in hands.
“I tell you hwhat.”
4. Bites lip before speaking.
“Well, about that…”
5. Runs fingers through own hair before speaking.
“Listen Linda!”
6. Will only make eye contact with your right eye.
“This is strictly off the record.”
7. Stands too close when speaking
“We’ve got a saying around here.” but the “saying” is just whatever they were already going to say in reply.
8. Never uses profanity, whisper very infantile substitutions.
“... because that’s just neighborly.”
9. Does former/current meth addict mouth fidgeting.
Speaks about interacting with themselves as though they were two people. “I told [themself] dealing with [PCs] was a bad idea.”
10. Holds their breath while you speak.
“You hear?”
11. Takes a deep, calming breath before they start talking every time it’s their turn to speak again.
“Well I’ll be a [Magic Animal]’s [Political/Court Position]!”
12. Pantomimes taking notes about what you’re saying. “Helps me remember the details.”
“Mansplains” martial weapons, but just trusts you know all the relevant info about forgotten grimoires.
13. Makes sign of the evil eye toward the south before speaking.
“Pardon my Orcish darling, but he’s an [completely inoffensive and factual statement].”
14. Does a “Wash my hands of you”
gesture when finished speaking.
“...and you’d be wise to remember that.”
15. Rolls a coin over fingers while you speak, pulls it from behind your ear before they speak.
“... or at least that’s what my Pappy used to say before he died in the war.”
16. Will only talk while walking.
“Y’all hungry, we can do this over food if you like, ‘cause I’m hungry.”
17. Makes shocked expressions at mundane details and stone faced for actual shocking information.
“Now that sounds like something I could sink my teeth into.”
18. Can’t get through a sentence without a yawn.
“... and that’s the truth, or the buzzards take my eyes after they hang me for a liar.”
19. Prefers to speak to you, facing away from you.

20. Takes gloves off before shaking hands.
“If’n you don’t mind my saying…”


"...before the Grand Vizier comes for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment